Medical X-Ray, Inc. (MXI) is a group of top-notch Radiologists in Cincinnati, Ohio focused on practicing excellent Radiology in the inpatient and outpatient settings. All MXI Radiologists are ABR Board-certified and approximately half hold additional subspecialty fellowship training.All MXI Radiologists practice general Radiology in addition to their subspecialty areas. MXI is well-known for its friendly, approachable Radiologists who all get along well and have fun working together. MXI has long enjoyed excellent relations with the hospital administration and referring doctors. MXI Radiologists understand that there is no better source of satisfaction, and job security, than simply being valuable and doing a good job. In order to minimize overhead, MXI contracts all ancillary services including billing, retirement, payroll, legal, etc. and employs only Radiologists. Despite increasing work volumes, MXI has been able to hold the number of Radiologists steady, at approximately a dozen, over the past 15 years by maximizing efficiencies utilizing digital dictation, PACS, and teleradiology.
Good Samaritan Hospital opened at its current Dixmyth location in 1915, just prior to the United States entry into World War I. X-rays had been discovered in 1895 in Germany by Karl Roentgen, and when Good Sam Hospital was built 20 years later, several x-ray units were installed in the new hospital. However, from 1915 to 1930, there was no official Radiology Department at Good Sam. Plain films were taken mostly for fractures or TB and were preliminarily read by the ordering docs and then were officially read by traveling radiologists who would come to the hospital for a just few hours a few days a week.
After WWI, in the 1920’s, a boon in radiology occurred with the advent of fluoroscopy which allowed upper GIs and Barium Enemas to become common at many hospitals across the US. By the late 1920’s, wanting to keep up with the latest and greatest medical technologies, the Good Sam docs wanted an official Radiology Department and a full-time, on site radiologist to read the films promptly, to be available for consults, and to perform fluoroscopic examinations. Consequently, in 1931, Good Sam put out an advertisement for their first full-time radiologist and hired Justin McCarthy from St. Louis Hospital in Missouri to create and staff Good Sam’s first Radiology Department.
Justin McCarthy would later father Gene McCarthy who would come to Good Sam in 1968 as the 5 th Radiologist to join Good Sam.
Justin McCarthy worked solo as the only Radiologist at Good Sam Hospital for 23 years at which point he invited a young resident who had done a rotation with him to join him. This resident, of course, was Roland Wintzinger who became the second Radiologist to join Good Sam when he started in 1954.
The two ran the Radiology Department alone for 11 more years until 1965 when they hired a third radiologist, Richard Mulvey and a few years later the fourth radiologist, Donald Gunderson.
Justin McCarthy worked in the Good Sam Radiology Department from 1931 until 1975 (interrupted only by a 4 year stent in the army during WW2) for a total of 44 years.
Roland Wintzinger worked in the Rad Dept from 1954 until 1996 for a total of 42 years.
MXI is simply a group of Radiologists who came together to provide Radiology services to Good Samaritan Hospital. As such, it really started in 1954 when Dr. Roland Wintzinger joined Dr. Justin McCarthy at Good Sam to become the second Radiologist in the Department. When Drs. Mulvey and Gundersonjoined in 1965, they became four radiologists working together, and shortly thereafter officially incorporated as “McCarthy, Wintzinger, and Mulvey” in 1967. When Dr. Mulvey left the group in 1968, they decided to rename the corporation “Medical X-ray, Inc.”MXI is, and always has been, a group of dedicated Radiologists working together at Good Samaritan Hospital and elsewhere. What follows nextis biographical information on those MXI Radiologists.
Justin Eugene McCarthy, MD
First full time Radiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital and subsequently one of the three Founding Fathers of MXI.
Born in Aberdeen, South Dakota 1902
Father worked for rail road company in Aberdeen, South Dakota.
Mother was a homemaker.
3 sisters and 1 brother
His brother, 1 yr older, first became a General Practioner but later switched to Radiology after observing his brother Justin’s work. He stayed in Aberdeen to practice Radiology.
High School: Aberdeen
Undergraduate: Creighton University for 2 yrs. Creighton is a Jesuit university in Omaha, Nebraska.
Med School: Creighton University for 4 yrs.
1927: Rotating Internship at St Louis Hospital. Interest in Radiology was sparked when he did Radiology elective with the dynamic Chief of Radiology, Dr. LeRoy Sante who was widely known as one of the early radiologists and great teachers of the early 20 th century. The academic St. Louis Department of Radiology took form in 1927 at St. Louis City Hospital with the establishment of an approved three-year training program under the leadership of Dr. Leroy Sante. Dr. Sante became Chairman of the Department of Radiology in 1928.
1928: Radiology Residency at St Louis Hospital. The student who was supposed to start the Radiology Residency with Dr. Sante got TB and had to withdraw. Dr. Sante had been impressed with Justin McCarthy during his internship elective the previous year, and Dr. Sante personally recruited Justin McCarthy to take the newly vacated Radiology Residency position. Justin accepted the offer and started his 3-yr Radiology Residency a few months early while still completing his intern year. Dr. Sante was ahead of his time regarding concern for radiation safety. He insisted Radiologists wear lead gloves and a lead apron stating: “We don’t know what the long term effects of radiation are, but it may be dangerous.” This is at a time when they were still regularly using fluoroscopy to fit shoes in department stores.
1930: Radiology services at Good Samaritan Hospital prior to Justin McCarthy starting in 1931 consisted of various Radiologists (one of who was Jack Singer) coming by the hospital for a few hours each day to read mostly bone radiographs. Ordering doctors were complaining because they wanted greater radiologist availability, and they wanted more expertise. The demand for Radiology services was rapidly increasing in the late 1920’s particularly in the field of fluoroscopy, and the hospital wanted a full-time, on-site radiologist who could do fluoroscopy (upper GI exams and Barium Enemas) and who would be more readily available to the ordering doctors.
Figure Legend. Copy of the 1928 book “Modern X-Ray Technic” by Ed. C. Jerman and personal correspondence letterhead given to Timothy J. Miller by Jack Singer in 1994.
1931: Justin McCarthy accepted the position at Good Samaritan Hospital directly from his Radiology Residency at St. Louis Hospital and became the first full-time Radiologist (and Department Director) at Good Samaritan Hospital.
Ben Felson was working at Cincinnati General Hospital, and there were a handful of other private practice radiologists in town at that time.
Married 1932: Mary Catherine McConn who was working as a nurse at Good Sam.
1931-1933: Justin McCarthy was mostly done with the Good Samaritan Hospital work by noon each day and was looking for other work to keep him busy. He was recruited by 2 Radiologists from Jewish Hospital to share a private practice Radiology office space in downtown Cincinnati on Garfield Place. Archie Fine and Sam Brown hoped that by inviting Justin McCarthy from Good Samaritan Hospital, they might gain access to Outpatients from Good Samaritan Hospital. As was the standard practice at the time, all 3 Radiologists practiced Radiation Therapy in addition to Diagnostic Radiology in their office. To calm patients nervous about radiation exposure during cancer treatments, Dr. Sam Brown would occasionally sit in the room with them during the treatment sessions at the Garfield office.
Justin had 2 children: a son Eugene born 1936 and a daughter Merilyn born 1939.
1942-46: After having worked at Good Samaritan Hospital for 11 years (since 1931), in 1942 Justin McCarthy left Good Samaritan Hospital temporarily and joined the army during WWII. He volunteered at the age of 42 years and moved his wife and 2 young children to Memphis, TN. He worked as a much-needed Radiologist for 3 years stationed at Kennedy General Hospital in Memphis, TN and then for 1 additional year at Fort Benning, GA. His presence was missed at Good Samaritan Hospital. The attitude during the war was “Do what you can with what you have.” Jack Singer was able to provide some Radiology services during Justin McCarthy’s four-year absence from Good Sam.
1946: At the conclusion of the war in 1945, the army deemed Justin’s work as a Radiologist too valuable to give up and kept him working for an additional year. In 1946, he was finally permitted to return to his position as Radiologist and Department Director at Good Samaritan Hospital.
1946-1954: After his 11-year solo-stent at Good Sam, and then a 4-year hiatus in the South for the War, Justin returned to Good Sam for an additional 8-years as a solo-practitioner. In 1954, after 23 years as a practicing Radiologist, having been impressed with a young Radiology resident he had worked with several years previously at Good Samaritan Hospital, Justin McCarthy hired his first Radiologist associate, Dr. Roland Wintzinger.
Good Samaritan Hospital opened at its current Dixmyth location in 1915,just prior to the United States entry into World War I. X-rays had been discovered in 1895 in Germany by Karl Roentgen, and when Good Sam Hospital was built 20 years later,several x-ray units were installed in the new hospital.
However, from 1915 to 1930, there was no official Radiology Department at Good Sam. Plain films were taken mostly for fractures or TB and were preliminarily read by the ordering docs and then were officially read by travelling radiologists who would come to the hospital for a just few hours a few days a week.
After WWI, in the 1920’s, a boon in radiology occurred with the advent of fluoroscopy which allowed upper GIs and Barium Enemas to become common at many hospitals across the US. By the late 1920’s, wanting to keep up with the latest and greatest medical technologies, the Good Sam docs wanted an official Radiology Department and a full-time, on site radiologist to read the films promptly, to be available for consults, and to perform fluoroscopic examinations.
Consequently, in 1931, Good Sam put out an advertisement for their first full-time radiologist and hired Justin McCarthy from St. Louis Hospital in Missouri to create and staff Good Sam’s first Radiology Department.
Justin McCarthy worked solo as the only Radiologist at Good Sam Hospital for 23 years at which point he invited a young resident who had done a rotation with him to join him. This resident, of course, was Roland Wintzinger who became the second Radiologist to join Good Sam when he started in 1954.
Roland G. Wintzinger, MD
Figure Legend: Roland G. Wintzinger, MD in 1979 at age 55 years.
2nd Radiologist to join Good Samaritan Hospital and one of three Founding Fathers of MXI.
Roland Wintzinger was born June 16, 1924 in Cincinnati, Ohio. He grew up in the neighborhood of Mt Adams in Cincinnati, Ohio. Roland’s father owned a company which engraved hand blown glass.The companywent bankrupt and closedduring the Great Depression. To help make ends meet, while in high school, Roland started working at Good Samaritan Hospitalas a Delivery person delivering flowers and mailand also worked at the telephone switch boards at his St Xavier highschool. Roland’s father died when Roland was age 17 and still in St. Xavier highschool.
Roland’s mother was a full-time homemaker. Roland had only one sibling: a sister named Mary Carol who became a Nun with theSisters of Charity. Mary Carol moved to Detroit and taught school.
Roland attended high school from 1938-1942 at St. Xavier High School and in his Senior year was editor ofthe St. Xhighschool yearbook called the “Scrivener.”
In 1942, upon graduating from St.X highschool, Rolandstarted as a Freshman at Xavier University in the armyROTC program which helped fund his college education.
1943 during WW II. In infantry training 1943. Took exam for premed offered. This is when is aspirations to medicine began. inducted in army until 1946
Began premed at Citadel charleston sc 1943-1944 and premed univ maryland
1945 Surgical tech valley forge army hosptial
1945-1946 First yr medical school u penn
Army then dropped program, could not afford to stay.
MD degree from Univ Cincinnati 1946-1949
Rotating Internship Good Sam Hospital 1949-1950
1950-1952 Radiology Residency with Justin McCarthy
1951 May Married. Phyllis was working as a nurse at GHS 1947-1950.
1952 Radiology Resident Cincinnati General Hospital with Ben Felson less than one year when recalled to army.
1952 recalled to military service during Korean War when still a Radiology Resident serving as chief radiologist Fort Rucker army hospital alabama.
1953 First child born in Alabama.
1954 invited to GSH by Justin McCarthy
Second radiologist at good sam 1954-1996.
Was in alabama in army. JM invited him to return and take job. Started delivering flowers as teenager. Worked over 50 years.
License to practice OH, IN, KY
ABR certified 1956
Member ACR, RSNA, OSRS, RSGC, AMA, OSMA, Cincinnati Acad Medicine
Director 1967-90 (23 years) of Radiology Dept
42 yrs at hospital
1990 Senior attending
Died april 8, 2009 at Naples Community at age of 84.
Survived by wife phyllis married 57 years.
3 daughters: mary helen, sue, carol ann
3 sons: mark, john, roland II.
Filled up paper cup with paper clips “you’ve done your job”
Served as director over 20 years
Served in rad dept over 40 years.
Under his leadership, the dept underwent major advancements in CT , US, MR
1967 MXI first radiology practice to become incorporated. Called McCarthy, Wintzinger, and Mulvey, Inc.. First or second medical corp in the city of cincinnati. Changed name to MXI (not new corporation.). Safer if you’re under the same rules as P and G. Brand new thing having doctors incorporate. First Radiologist group.
Private office downtown in Garfield Place. Radiation Therapy and Diagnostic Radiology. Shared office with David Schneider, Radiologist (father of ophthamologist)
Roland G. Wintzinger MD in 1995. Second Radiologist to join MXI. GSH Radiology Department Director 1967 to 1990.Toward the end of his career, commonly referred to as “Chief.”
Figure Legend. Eulogy found posted ananously on bulletin board in the Good Samaritan Hospital Radiology Department the morning after Dr. Wintzinger’s death in Florida. One of the Radiology Technologists, Nancy Gates, later claimed credit for writing and posting the tribute.
|Figure Legend.||Roland Wintzinger Newspaper Obituary from the “Cincinnati Enquirer.”|
Figure Legend:2009 Commemorative Plaquededicating the Roland G. Wintzinger Radiology Conference Room in theGood Samaritan Hospital Radiology Department
Figure Legend: Poster from the Physicians’ Lounge Advertising Good SamaritanHospital’s First-ever “Physician RecognitionAward” Recipients, September 26,2009. Lifetime Achievement Award for Medical Education and Service recipients: John J. Cranley MD, Frank E. Ellis MD, Donald C. Fischer MD, George H. Kreyling MD, Thomas A. Saladin MD, Richard T.F. Schmidt MD, Richard M. Smith MD, Roland G. Wintzinger MD. (Cranley, Saladin, Schmidt, Smith, and Wintzinger posthumously).
Richard Mulvey, MD
3rdRadiologist to join Good Samaritan Hospital and one of three Founding Fathers of MXI.
1965 Started working as Radiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital with Drs. J McCarty and Wintzinger.
Was shortly joined by a fourth Radiologist, Dr. Donald Gunderson.
Came in as full partner because he had already worked for 5 years as a Radiologist at Christ Hospital.
Went to Bethesda Oak to join Eli Rubenstein’s group. When Dr. Mulvey arrived at Bethesda Oak, there were then 3 Radiologists. Dr. Mulvey left MXI onexcellent terms, and the MXI Radiologists agreed to help the Bethesda Oak group with vacation coverage.
When Mulvey left the Good Samaritan Hospital group, the radiologists changed the name of their corporationand chose a name without names: Medical X-ray, Inc.
Figure Legend: Original 1967 Articles of Incorporation for Mc Carthy, Wintzinger, and Mulvey, Inc. When Dr. Mulvey left the group, the named was changed to Medical X-ray, Inc.
Donald Gunderson, MD
Donald E. Gunderson was born October 13, 1929 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His father managed a Kinney’s shoe store, and his mother was a housewife. He had one sibling: a sister four years younger who later became a housewife. He attended high school in Rake, Iowa and went to Creighton University in Nebraska, the same Jesuit University that JustinMcCarthy had attended, for college and medical school. He did his radiology residency at Marquette University in the Veterans Administration Hospital. He was boarded in therapeutic and diagnostic radiology and in nuclear medicine.
During an interview with the author (TJM) December 2009, Don said he first decided to be a doctor as a young teenager and indicated it was really his parents’ decision, and he just went along with a good idea. He decided to become a radiologist two months into his surgery residency at Marquette when he developed a serious skin reaction to the iodine scrub required for surgeons. Don says, “They sent me straight over to radiology for a two month elective, and by the end of that I was doing barium studies,” and he just continued with the remainder of the radiology residency from that point forward.
Don says that at the end of his radiology residency he had approximately 20 job offers in various cities including Chicago, Detroit, and Cincinnati. He had never been in Cincinnati before, but found the Catholic values of Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati the real deciding factor.
He accepted the job at Good Samaritan in Cincinnati and started in 1965. He became the 4th radiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital and joined Drs. J. McCarthy, R. Wintzinger, and R. Mulvey.
Dr. Gunderson started the Nuclear Medicine Department at Good Sam. He also did almost all of the radiation therapy treatments for the first few years he was at Good Sam and built the business to the point that a full-time radiation therapist was needed. After discussions with the hospital administration, Dr. Gunderson and the other MXI radiologists decided to focuson diagnostic radiology and forego radiation therapy. The hospital then hired a full-time dedicated radiation oncologist.
Dr. Gunderson also had special interest in chest radiology andforged close ties with renowned chest radiologist Dr. Benjamin Felson at Cincinnati General Hospital (later named University Hospital), and attended daily noon resident teaching conferences at General Hospital called “T-meetings.”
Charles Eugene (Gene) McCarthy, MD
Charles E McCarthy MD 1995
5th Radiologist to join MXI
Charles E. McCarthy, known as Gene McCarthy, is the son of Justin McCarthy, the first full-time Radiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital. Gene McCarthy was born in 1936 in Cincinnati, Ohio while his father, Justin McCarthy,was already working as the first full-time radiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital. In 1954, Genegraduated from St. Xavier High School, and in 1958 he graduated from Xavier University.
Heearned his Medical Doctorate at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicinein 1962. He completed his Internship at Philadelphia General Hospital in 1963. Gene did his Radiology Residency from 1963 until 1966 at Cincinnati General Hospital.
In 1965, Gene married Ann Carola Stark whom he had met
while they were working together as cousellors at summer camp.
From 1966 until 1968, Gene enlisted in the air force and was stationed at VandenbergAirForcebase in Santa Maria, California. In 1968, upon completing his time in the Air Force, Gene joined MXI as the fifth radiologist joining Drs. Justin McCarthy, Roland Wintzinger, Richard Mulvey, and Don Gunderson.
In 1970 Good Sam wanted a full time Radiation Therapist to staff the rapidly expanding Radiation Oncology Department. MXI declined and decided to focus on diagnostic radiology, so Good Samaritanrecruited their first dedicated Radiation Oncologist. From that point forward, MXI no longer practiced Radiation Oncology (with the exception of I-131 for thyroid cancer).
Gene worked with MXI at Good Samaritan Hospitaluntil his retirementin 1999.
Charlie Kuntz, MD
6 th Radiologist to join MXI.
Worked for 2 years with MXI and thenleft to jointwo colleagues and friendsto helpbuild up the now-thrivingBethesda North Radiology Department.
Bethesda North Hospital was founded in 1970.
Barry Blum and William Chang were hired to replace him.
William Chang, MD
William Chang, MD
William Chang MD 1995
William Chang was born in Kunming China May 17, 1941. His father was a professor of aeronautical engineering and an aerospace scientist and his mother was a housewife. When Bill was only a few years old, just prior to WWII, his father moved to the United States in preparation for transferring his family there. Shortly after WWII, in 1947, Bill immigrated to the United States with his mother. They joined his father in Baltimore, Maryland where his father was working as a professor at Johns Hopkins University.
Bill has two siblings, both younger: a brother 6 years his junior and a sister 12 years younger. His brother became a PhD scientistin physics and worked for Exxon in the oil exploration field. His sisterbecame an attorney.
Bill attended high school at Washburn High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was at University of Minnesota, Minneapolis for undergraduate (majoring in physics) and for medical school.Billgrew up with several physicians in his family with both his grandfather and uncle working as doctors. Bill attributes this family tradition as playing a part in his decision to become a doctor, initially a pediatrician and later a radiologist.
Bill completed a pediatric residency at Philadelphia General Hospital which was interrupted by a two-year hiatus in the air force. In the air force, Bill served state-side for a year as a pediatrician and worked a year in Vietnam as a general medical officer. Interesting, while in Vietnam, Bill worked with a Cincinnati radiologist named Alan Chambers who he would later work with at Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati.
His experience working as a pediatrician in the air force convinced Bill that he preferred a broader field. He had always found physics interesting and had majored in physics in college. Bill thought given its broad body of knowledge and physics bent, radiology would be a good fit.After completing his pediatric residency at Philadelphia General Hospital, he began a radiology residency at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. He then moved to Gainsville where he completed his pediatric radiology fellowship at the University of Florida.
While serving as pediatric radiology fellow at University of Florida, Bill became acquainted with the renowned pediatric radiologist Fred Silverman who was at the University of Florida on sabatical from Cincinnati Childrens Hospital. Dr. Silverman helped influence Bill to take a job at Good Samaritan in Cincinnati. Good Samaritan had a large newborn ICU and was looking for additional expertise in pediatric radiology. Bill was interested in practicing subspecialized pediatric radiology in addition to general radiology, so it was a good fit.
Dr. Chang joined MXI as the 7th radiologist in 1975. He had never previously lived in Cincinnati. Dr. Chang practiced full-time with MXI until 2004 when he switched to part-time, no-call no weekends. He retired in 2007 after 32 years in practice with MXI.
Bill’s wife, Joanne, was a nurse at Philadelphia General Hospital which is where they met. They have two children: Stephen, a radiologist with subspecialty training in musculoskeletal radiology working in the Pheonix, Arizona area in a 40-radiologist radiology practice, and Cindy, and occupational therapist working in Chicago.
Figure Legend: MXI Radiologists atBill Chang’s 2007 retirement party. Left to right: Dave Huelsman, Barry Blum, Bill Chang, Chuck Herfel, Galen Chun.
David Katz, MD
8 th Radiologist to join MXI.
Was hired a few months after Dr. Chang and a few months before Dr. Blum.
Worked one yr, then left for Ft Ham/Hughes to join Stan Ignato
Barry A. Blum, MD
Barry A Blum MD in 2007. MXI President 1992 to 2008 and GSH Radiology Department Director 1998 to 2008.
Barry A Blum MD in 1995
9 th Radiologist to join MXI
Born Baltimore, MD
Undergraduate at University of Maryland
1968 MD from University of Maryland
1974 Completed Radiology Residency at Indiana University
Served in the Vietnam War.
9 th Radiologist to join MXI.
Drs. Justin McCarthy and Roland Wintzingerran the Good Samaritan Hospital Radiology Department until 1965 when they hired a third radiologist, Richard Mulvey and a few years later the fourth radiologist, Donald Gunderson.A few years after Dr. Gunderson was hired, Dr. Mulvey left to joins friends at Bethesda Oak where he could be an independently incorporated radiologist, and MXI hired Dr. Gene McCarthy, son of Justin McCarthy.
As demand for special procedures, and especially angiography, increased at Good Sam, MXI hired Dr. Charlie Kuntz who had specialty training in Angio and special procedures. However, Dr. Kuntz soon decided he didn’t like the stress of doing special procedures and left MXI to join two colleagues at the newly created Bethesda North hospital.
To address the increasing volume of pediatric radiology at Good Sam Hospital, MXI hired Dr. Bill Chang from the University of Florida in 1975. And, a few months later, to address the need for angio and special procedures, they hired Dr. Barry Blum from Indiana University in September 1975. Dr. Blum had spent an extra year at IU specializing in Angiography for 6 months and Nuclear Medicine for 6 months, so he was well-equipped to fill the position.
Dr. Blum worked at MXI for 34 years specializing in Angiography, special procedures, ultrasound, plain film radiography, and nuclear medicine. In 1992, 17 years after Dr. Blum first started at MXI, Dr. Wintzinger stepped down as president and department head, and Dr. Blum became President of MXI, and in 1998 he also took on the role as Radiology Department Director. He served as President of MXI and Radiology Department Director of Good Sam Hospital for 10 years, until 2008, when he split the jobs and handed them off to Dr. McConnell, who became President/ CEO and to Dr. Huelsman, who became Radiology Department Director.
Dr. Blum continued to work full-time, except nights and weekends, from 2008 until his retirement on Dec 31, 2009.
The radiologists of MXI owe a huge debt of gratitude to Dr. Blum for his 34 years of dedicated service. He was an excellent interventionalist, and he was the go-to guy for ultrasound and nuclear medicine for decades. He was an effective negotiator who increased insurance reimbursement rates, took the MXI corporation from hospital-reimbursed to fee-for-service private billing, and who hiredall of the MXI radiologists over an almost three decade periodstarting withLiz Alexander in 1981inand continuing through to Mike Kreeger in 2009.
Dr. Blumwas instrumental in securing outpatient imaging business for MXI over the years including: NYDIC open MRI, Glenway Open-Sided MRI, GHA Medical Imaging MRI centers, Cincinnati PET and Westside CT centers, Beacon Orthopedics MRI Imaging Centers, and Evendale Imaging Center.
R. Terrell “Terry” Frey, MD
R Terrell Frey MD in 2007.GSH Radiology Department Director 1992 to 1998.
R Terrell Frey in 1995.
10th Radiologist to join MXI
Undergraduate education at Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH, Summe cum laude 1969
1973 MD University of Cincinnati
1977 Completed Radiology Residency at University of Cincinnati
1977 Started as a Radiologist with MXI
Radiology Department Director 1992-1998
Member, ACR Board of Chancellors
President Ohio State Radiological Society
Elizabeth “Liz” S. Alexander, MD
Elizabeth S. Alexander, MD
Dr. Alexander was the 11th Radiologist and first woman to join MXI.
University of Cincinnati
University of Cincinnati 1976 MD
University of Cincinnati 1980 Residency
University of CincinnatiFellowship 1981 CT, US, Angio
Section Head, GSH Women’s Imaging
Past President, GSH Medical Staff
Joined MXI 1981
James Cornwall (12), Kathy Shumrick (13), and Gary Schmitt (14)
worked briefly for MXI.
Timothy “Tim”J. Miller, MD
Timothy J Miller MD 2007
Timothy J MillerMD 1995
15th Radiologist to join MXI
Started in 1993 after having completed Residency and Neuroradiology fellowship at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.
Duke University 1983
University of Cincinnati 1987 MD
Johns Hopkins Hospital 1992 Residency
Johns Hopkins Hospital 1993 Fellowship in Neuroradiology
Director Radiology Graduate Medical Education GSH since 1993
Member, GSH Medical Executive Committee 2007-10.
Radiology Medical Director, NeuroSpine Institute, Eugene, Oregon since 2006
CAQ in Neuroradiology (current)
Voted by physician peers as one of Cincinnati Magazine’s “Top Doctors” 2007, 2008
Joined MXI 1993
Figure Legend: Dr. Timothy Miller gives a tour of the newly opened Good Samaritan Hospital fifth floor radiology department February 2006.
James “Jim”M. Meranus, MD
16th Radiologist to join MXI.
1994 joined MXI after 3 years in private practice in Washington state.
Georgetown University 1982
Case Western Reserve 1986 MD
University of Cincinnati 1991 Residency
Consulting Radiologist for the Cincinnati Reds
CAQ in Neuroradiology (prior)
Medical Director, Evendale Medical Imaging since 2007
Voted by physician peers as one of Cincinnati Magazine’s “Top Doctors” 2003, 2007, 2008
Joined MXI 1994
Charles “Chuck” T. McConnell, MD
17th Radiologist to join MXI
Ohio State University 1988 MD
Ohio State University 1993 Residency
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology 1993-1995 Fellowship in Neuroradiology
CEO, Medical X-Ray, Inc. since 2008
Medical Director, Glenway Medical Imaging
CAQ in Neuroradiology (current)
Co-Section Head, Neuroradiology since 1995
Joined MXI 1995
Daniel Sulser, MD
18th Radiologist to join MXI.
Special interest in Nuclear Medicine.
Left Cincinnati after 2 years with MXI and returned South to practice closer to his home.
Francis “Frank” J. Schlueter, MD
19th Radiologist to join MXI
University of Notre Dame
University of Cincinnati 1990 MD
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology 1995 Residency
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology 1996 Fellowship InterventionalRadiology
CAQ in Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Former President, Greater Cincinnati Radiological Society
Section Head, Vascular and Interventional Radiology GSH
Member, Patient Care Committee GSH
Member, TriHealth Oncology Committee GSH
Member, General and Vascular Surgery Teaching Staff GSH
Current Chairman, Multidisciplinary Vascular and Interventional Committee GSH
Joined MXI 1996
Roger Vithalani, MD
20th Radiologist to join MXI.
First Radiologist to join MXI with subspecialty boards in Nuclear Medicine.
Was happy at MXI, but after becoming partner, decided to move his family back to North Carolina to his wife’s hometown. Joined Eastern Radiology group.
David “Dave” Huelsman, MD
21st Radiologist to join MXI
University of Cincinnati 1996 MD
University of Cincinnati 2000 Residency
Chief Resident 1999-2000
Radiation Safety Officer, GSH 2001-2008
Radiology Department Director, GSH since 2008
Joined MXI 2000Join
|David A. Huelsman, MD,Good Samaritan Hospital Radiology Department Director 2009|
Angela “Angie” Beckes, MD
22nd Radiologist to join MXI
University of Evansville
Emory University 1994 MD
University of Cincinnati 2001 Residency
Chief Resident 2000-01
Special Interest in Fetal MRI, Breast MRI, and Body Imaging
Joined MXI 2002
Figure Legend: Jim Meranus and Angie Beckes atBill Chang’s 2007 retirement party.
Galen Chun, MD
Galen Chun, MD
23rd Radiologist to join MXICreighton University 1989 St Louis University 1993 MD Officer in Charge and Flight Surgeon, Ft Greeley, Alaska 1995-1996 Officer in Charge and Flight Surgeon, Ft Richardson, Alaska 1996-1999 University of Cincinnati 2003 Residency Special Interest in Breast MRIJoined MXI 2003
Kimberly “Kim” S. Draud, MD
24th Radiologist to join MXI
University of Kentucky 1998 MD
Vanderbilt University 2003 Residency
Chief Resident 2002-03
University of California San Diego 2004 Fellowship in MSK
Consulting Radiologist for the Cincinnati Reds
Joined MXI 2005
Hiliary Evans, MD
25th Radiologist to join MXI.
Only stayed with MXI a few months in 2006, then returned to her former practice at McCollough Hyde inOxford.
Steven “Steve” E. Kruis, DO
26th Radiologist to join MXI
Cornell College 1989
Midwestern University 1993 DO
University of Tennessee 2002 Residency
Chief Resident 2001-02
Former Radiology Department Director, Mercy Mt. Airy Hospital, 2003-06
Former Credentialing Committee Chairman, Mercy Mt. Airy Hospital,2003-06
Former Medical Detachment Commander, Flight Surgeon and Officer in Charge of an Army Airfield Health Clinic, Germany, 1994-98
Joined MXI 2007
Charles “Chuck” V. Herfel, MD
27th Radiologist to join MXI
Centre College 1993
University of Kentucky 2002 MD
University of Cincinnati 2007 Residency
Chief Resident 2006-07
Joined MXI 2007
David A. Huelsman, MD and Charles Herfel, MD, MXI Radiologists in Good Samaritan Hospital Radiology Reading Room 2009
Michael “Mike” Kreeger, MD
28th Radiologist to join MXI
Ohio State University 1998
University of Cincinnati 2002 MD
University of Cincinnati 2008 Residency
Chief Resident 2007-8
University of Washington 2009 MSK Fellowship
Joined MXI 2009
Group Health Associates opened April 1, 1974 in Clifton as HMP (Health Maintenance Physicians). Sister Grace Marie Hiltz, SC, president of Good Samaritan Hospitalk, 1962-1979, played a key role in the formation of GHA. By the end of 1974, 11,000 members had joined the area’s first prepaid health care plan. In 1978, the original Springdale office opened with four family doctors and a pediatrician. In 1980, HMP changed names to Group Health Associates, Inc.
Figure Legend: The new GHA logo introduced in 1994.
By 1980, GHA had 25 physicians and 31,000 patients. In 1985, the Kenwood and Anderson centers opened, and in 1988 the Western Hills center opened. In 1991, the Springdale office moved into the current building. In 1992, the new GHA logo was introduced. By 1994, GHA had over 70 physicians and 550 employees in seven offices.
Figure Legend: One of the Radiography and Fluoroscopyrooms at GHA Clifton office 2008.
In 1996, GHA and Anthem formed an insurance group called Paragon to handle managed care plans in the region. Also in 1996, GHA established a new office in Mason. In 1997, GHA established a online pharmacy. Also in 1997, GHA opened a new office in Finneytown and moved the GHA administrative offices to the current Norwood location. By 1999, GHA had over 100 physicians in 20 specialties. In 2000, the Mason office moved to the new building on Mason-Montgomery Rd. and the Springdale office was the first to go live with EpicCare, a computerized patient records database. In 2002, Paragon was dissolved, and GHA entered the fee-for-service world.
Figure Legend: GHA Clifton office, the original GHA location opened in 1974.
In 2005, GHA became part of TriHealth. By 2009, GHA had more than 120 physicians in 18 specialties with 500,000 patient visits per year.
Figure Legend: GHA History Poster posted November 2009 toin celebration of 35 years in existence.
GHA extended specialty care on the west side of Cincinnati by opening an office at TriHealth Western Ridgein Fall2010. GHA has plans for a new center in Clifton to open 2011. GHA projects to have more than 140 physicians by 2013.
Figure Legend:Plaque posted bylobby elevatorsat GHAClifton office commemorating”Mac” John McSweeney, Founding Father of GHA.
MXI obtained the initial GHA contract to provide radiology services to this new multi-specialty groupwhen first formed 1974. MXI provided radiology services for4 years and was then replaced by a solo practioner radiologist, Eli Rubenstein. Eli’s previous office had been in the same private office space with several of the GHA physicians including Jack MacSweeney,Richard Meyer, andThomas Saladin. Eli provided the radiology services at GHA for 5 years, and then, in 1983,GHA gave the contract back to MXI. MXI has been the exclusive provider of radiology services to GHA since 1983. In2005, TriHealth purchased GHA, but the day-to-day operations have remained largely unchanged.
From approximately 1985 to 1989, MXI provided radiology services on-site for Margaret Mary Hospital located in Batesville, Indiana.The radiology department was not very busy at that time. The hospital radiology department had been covered by a part-time radiologist who had left.The hospital invitedMXI to take-over the radiology business. The MXI Radiologists made the one-hour drive to staff the department for a half-day morning 5 days a week for 4 years. By that point, the radiology workload had increased to the point they wanteda radiologist on-sitefull time. MXI declined predominantly because of the long drive.The hospital hired a radiologygroup from Indianapolis to take over the work from MXIin 1989.
UNO – University Neuroradiological Organization
Good Samaritan Hospital was one of the first hospitals in the city to install an MRI scanner. The Mayfield Neurosurgery group with Dr. John Tew, Dr. Harry VanLoveren, and Dr. Tom Saulhad a busy neurosurgery practice at Good Sam and kept the Neuro ICU busy. When originally installed in 1983, the MRI scanner was predominantly used for Neuroradiology studies of the brain and spine. Feeling that there was not enough work to support a full-time Neuroradiologist at the time, MXI decided to subcontract the Neuroradiologists from Univeristy of Cincinnati Hospital to provide part-time CT, angiography, and MRI Neuroradiology services at Good Sam. The UNO Neuroradiologists included Robert Lukin, Tom Tomsick, Alan Chambers, Becky Cornelius, Mary Gaskills, Cheryl Stewart, and Robert Ernst. One of the UNO Neuroradiologists would come from UC to Good Sam for part of each weekday as needed. MXI would provide coverage for contrast injections and would be available to consult with clinicians when no UNO Radiologist was in-house. After approximately 10 years of this arrangement, the Neuroradiology business had grown to the point that MXI decided they could support a full-time, on-site Neuroradiologist. In 1993 and 1994, MXI hired two Neuroradiologists to replace the UNO group. After approximately 4 years of overlap, the UNO Neuroradiologists voluntarily stopped coming to Good Samaritan Hospital.
Nydic Open MRI
In circa 1994, a group of private investors from New Jersey opened the first low-field open MRI center in the Cincinnati area. One of the investors was familiar with Roland Wintzinger and contracted MXI to provide radiology services for the center. MXI radiologists provided MRI interpretations and 3 hours per day, 5 days per week onsite coverage for contrast injections. The MXI radiologists would drive to Norwood and read the MRI exams while providing contrast injection coverage. MXI did not have a teleradiology system at this time, and the patient volume was never high enough to justify the on-site radiologist time commitment. Consequently, MXI stopped providing coverage in circa 1996, and Nydic hired a retired local physician to provided contrast coverage and sent images to a Columbus teleradiology group for interpretations.
Glenway Open Sided MRI and Medical Radiology, Inc.
In 1995, TriHealth opened Glenway Medical Office Building (GMOB)at 6350 Glenway Avenue in Western Hills located on a prominent hill top across from the historic west-side landmark, Western Bowl. TriHealth leased the building from a local real estate owner, Charles Werster, who had developed thesite and who owned many of the surrounding properties. GMOB was predominantly a physicians’ office building and initially offerred only plain film radiography and mammography.
In February 2001, in a joint venture with MXI, TriHealth, Mercy Hospital system, and a local MRI developer and manager John Mattes, Glenway Imaging Open-sided MRI was opened in the first floor of the GMOB with a 0.3 Tesla Hitachi open MRI magnet. MXI created a dependent corporation named Medical Radiology for this investment to shield MXI from any potential losses.
In March of 2008, TriHealth bought-out Glenway Open-Sided MRI and replaced the low field magnet with a 1.5T high-field Siemens MRI machine. MXI radiologists remain the sole providers of radiology interpretations for Glenway Imaging Center and since 2007 have provided two-day per week onsite coverage for intravenous contrast injections.
Cincinnati PET and Westside CT
MXI (under the Medical Radiology corporation name) joint-ventured with Oncology Partners to set up Cincinnati PET and WestsideCT on Cheviot Road across the street from the Oncology Partners offices.This center had a PET scanner and a CT scanner. MXI radiologists split readings of the PET and CT with Mercy Western Hills radiologists who were also investors. In 200X, Mercy Health System bought-out Cincinnati PET and Westside CT and replaced the MXI radiologists with Mercy Hospital radiologists.
Teleradiology After-hours Radiology Coverage
In 2005, to help with recruitment of new radiologists, and to help cope with the increasing need for after-hours emergent CT scans from the ER and the inpatient floors at Good Sam, MXI first contracted with Diagna Radiology which after a few years changed its name to Virtual Radiology, Inc. The outside teleradiology service covered CT scans, and occasionally MRI scans, from Good Samaritan Hospital between midnight and 6 am, 7-days per week and would fax typed preliminary reports to the ER or inpatient floors. MXI radiologists would then re-read the exams first thing in the morning (generally by 9am) and issue a final dictation and notify the ordering docs about occasional discrepancies with the preliminary read.
Timothy E. Kremchek, M.D. serves as the Cincinnati Reds Medical Director and Chief Orthopaedic Physician. A native of Cincinnati, Dr. Kremchek returned here and began private practice in Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine in 1993. A 1986 graduate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Dr. Kremchek completed his orthopaedic residency at Tufts University in Boston, Ma. In 1993, he completed a one year Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Alabama Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham AL. under the direction of Dr. James Andrews and DR. Lawrence Lemak. Dr. Kremchek is the orthopaedist for Cincinnati’s Archbishop Moeller High School and Wittenberg University in Springfield, OH. Dr. Kremchek serves as an orthopaedic consultant for the Washington Nationals MLB team and the Florence Freedom, Frontier League Baseball team. Dr. Kremchek’s professional interests range from advanced arthroscopic repair of the shoulder and knee injuries to total joint reconstructions and joint replacements. He has taken an active role in teaching orthopaedics and sports medicine, which has enabled him to be published in professional journals regarding orthopaedics and sports medicine. Dr. Kremchek has been featured on HBO’s Real Sports program regarding youth baseball injuries. He has also been featured in ESPN Magazine, Sports Illustrated and USA Today regarding other medical health topics.
Beacon Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine organization was the brain child of Dr. Timothy E Kremchek, Medical Director and Chief Orthopaedic Physician for the Cincinnati Reds and son of the renowned local retired orthopedist, Dr. Edward Kremchek. Dr. Timothy Kremchek’s vision was to create an independent, out-patient, physician-owned state-of-the-art, complete-care orthopedic center including physician offices, surgical center, imaging center, and rehabilitation services to provide total orthopedic patient care and satisfaction. He worked closely with Barry Blum, then President of MXI, and Jim Meranus, Section-Head of Musculoskeletal Imaging at MXI, to create the world-class orthopedic facility which included an MRI imaging center in Sharonville, Ohio. This center opened inMarch 2003and was soon a smashing success leading Beacon Orthopedics to open a second center in Western Hills on HarrisonAvenue in September 2006 which also included an MRI imaging center. In 2008, Beacon Orthopaedics openedan additional center in Batesville, Indiana which does not include MRI imaging.
Beacon has leased space from the Health Alliance and plans to open a West Chester office (without MRI) in 2010.
The physican-pool of orthopedic doctors has steadily expanded as business has grown and as of 2009 includes David B Argo MD, Robert Burger MD, John Brannan MD, Peter Cha MD, Jaideep Chunduri MD, Daniel Fox MD, Timothy Kremchek MD, Ian P Rodway MD, Martin McTighe MD, and Robert H Rolf MD, and Henry Steine MD. Beacon Ortho has an outstanding website to which the reader is referred for additional information: http://www.BeaconOrtho.com .
MXI has been the sole provider of radiology services to Beacon Orthopaedics since it inceptionin 2003. MXI provided MRI interpretations, including many stat and after-hours readings, using teleradiology systems only until 2009. In 2009, MXI began providing an on-site Radiologist for the Sharonville center three days per week and covered the remainder of the work and overflow with remote teleradiology systems at other MXI locations.
Opened in 2006 and located in Eugene, Oregon, the NeuroSpine Institute is a regional, certified Ambulatory Surgical Center dedicated to neurosurgical and orthopedic spinal care.
NSIprovides a comprehensive range of treatment options, including the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques, all coordinated by a team of highly skilled medical specialists dedicated topatient care, comfort and recovery.
NSIshares facilities with the surgeons and staff of Orthopedic Spine Associates, further expanding on-site capabilities and providing a full complement of orthopedic and neurosurgical services in one state-of-the-art facility.
When patients feel there’s nowhere left to turn,NSI can help them get their lives back.
Figure Legend: Chris Miller shows off his soon-to-be operating room under construction in 2006.
Figure Legend: Catherine Gallo moving into her new office spaceduring NSI construction 2006.
Figure Legend: Shailesh Patel, lead MRI and CT tech for NSI, tests the newly installed CTscanner table.
Figure Legend: One of thepreoperative waiting rooms adjacent to the Japanese Garden at NSI 2006.
Evendale Imaging Center
In 2004, a private medical management company named Prexus Health Partnersrecruited a group of local investing physicians and opened an outpatient surgery center called Evendale Medical Center. In 2007, a second group of local investing physicians was recruited, and anImaging Centerwas built on the site. Evendale Imaging Center was opened in April 2007with MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Plain film Radiography, and Fluoroscopy. After answering a Request For Proposal and presenting to the board, MXI was awarded the contract to provide Radiology services at Evendale Imaging Center. MXI has been providing full-time, on-site coverage for Evendale Imaging Center since the 2004 opening. The Evendale Medical Center received certification as a hospital in August 2008. Full teleradiology services are available for the MXI Radiologist at Evendale Imaging Center to maximize efficiency and allow the covering Radiologist to keep busy during occasional slow times at the Center.